3021 Frutas Avenue El Paso, Texas 79905
915-533-2077; Fax: 915-533-3649
"Guardian Angel Parish"
"El Paso - 1908"
"Guardian Angel Church in El Paso Texas was built in 1908 on what was then considered the northern slopes of El Paso. The cornerstone was blessed on October 7, 1907 and the new church blessed on June 7, 1908 with the first Mass and first marriage performed by Father Carlos Pinto, S.J. The first baby baptized was Magdalena Velásquez, the daughter of Fernando Velásquez and Maria Gonzales on the same day of the dedication of the church. The first wedding occurred a few days later on June 10 between Mary W. Dunne and Sylvester W. McConangy. The first pastor after Father Pinto was Father A. Gilbert, S.J. who made several improvements such as the addition of the choir loft. In 1912, Guardian Angel School opened under Rev. Aloysius Blanchard with the Sisters of Loretto as the faculty. Originally called Holy Angels School, the name was changed to match the parish when a new school building was completed in 1919."
"In the beginning, the church was mainly attended by English-speaking Catholics. After 1915, however, as Mexican refugees began arriving in the city as a result of the Mexican Revolution, the church increasingly became a Spanish-speaking community. In February 1918, Guardian Angel was turned over to the Mexican Jesuits. Guardian Angel also administered several missions throughout its history including Our Lady of Guadalupe, San Juan Bautista, St. Francis Xavier, Nuestra Señora de la Luz, and El Calvario, all of which eventually became parishes..."
To read the rest of the article, visit the following link: http://elpasodiocese.org/diocese/index.php/guardian-angel
Guardian Angel Church on Frutas
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
We participated in the Walk of Hope hosted by El Paso's Children Hospital at Ascarate Park. After finishing the walk...
Visiting the new reptile house at the El Paso zoo
A snapshot of family memories made at the El Paso Zoo.
EPCC held its first Arts Festival.
Late November snow on the Memorial grounds (2007).
Directed by Rodolfo Hernandez, Ritmos Norteños brings traditional polka dancing in an annual performance at the Chamizal Memorial Theater.
Rodolfo Hernandez, renowned instructor of folklorico in both El Paso and Cd Juarez
Map compiled from Boundary Commission maps of 1852, from County Surveyors records and from January 1898 survey. Map outlines Ponce...
This was last years, 2017 fourth of July fireworks display. We did not have the best view because the trees...
traditional dance in el paso tx and mexico
Medium sized Bass returned to Ascarate Lake September 2017.
Border Patrol 1931 - El Paso, Texas - District 25, Sub-District 2 - Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1931.
Border Patrol - first Border Patrol Academy Class made up of recruits from the entire Mexican Border. Photograph taken in...
U.S. Border Patrol - El Paso, Texas - 1937 - Camp Chigas located near the Chamizal area. Photograph taken at...
Border Patrol - El Paso, Texas - 1931 - photograph of the Border Patrol in El Paso, Texas.