The image shows William Beaumont General Hospital under construction in 1920/21.
In the beginning, the army hospital was located at Fort Bliss. In 1920, construction began on 272 acres of rocky, cactus-covered land Northwest of Fort Bliss proper to build a new hospital to be named William Beaumont General Hospital in honor of Dr. Beaumont. Army Capt. (Dr.) William Beaumont did research on gastric juice and the physiology of digestion between 1820 and 1850. The hospital made of tile and stucco opened July 2, 1921, with a bed capacity for 403 patients.
During and after World War II, the William Beaumont General Hospital expanded and more departments and facilities were added. As Fort Bliss continued to grow, the hospital outgrew its facilities. The alternative was a new hospital -- built alongside and to the west of the old facilities. It was dedicated on July 2, 1972. In 1973, the hospital became William Beaumont Army Medical Center, subordinate to the Army Health Services Command. The Omar N. Bradley building, an addition to the west-side of the main hospital, was opened in 1982. In November 1995, WBAMC became one of the largest buildings in El Paso with another 254,000 square feet of floor space for the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Center. Now, the WBAMC complex has more than one million square feet of floor space for patient care and administrative duties. In fiscal year 2014, an average of more than 3,200 patients were seen daily. The Tertiary Health Care, Research, Graduate Medical Education Programs and affiliations with institutions such as Texas Tech University School of Medicine, University of Texas at El Paso School of Nursing, and El Paso Community College Nursing School provide the cornerstones for the medical center. Furthermore, WBAMC offers a broad range of programs in many medical disciplines.
William Beaumont General Hospital under construction
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
The image shows the William Beaumont Army Medical Center. This view of the west side can no longer be seen...
The Logan Heights neighborhood is comprised of many military personnel..
The picture shows the Texas Department of Transportation at 4201 Hondo Pass in El Paso.
The Texas Department of...
El Maida Shrine is located at 6331 Alabama Street in El Paso, Texas and can be reached by phone at...
El Maida Shrine is located at 6331 Alabama Street and can be reached by phone at 915-562-1444.
Chapin High School
Chapin High School
Masonic Oriental Band is a unit within the El Maida Shrine.
A golfer practices on a driving range at the Fort Bliss Golf Course (2011).
Susan G. Komen El Paso was founded in 1993. It was Suzie Azar’s idea to bring Race for the Cure...
Cousin Raul Herrera Marquez, Luis and Bertha Arias, Luis and Bertha Mieckowski.
Luis and Bertha Arias, Dr. Tim Tobery, Dr. Angel Tobery, Mike and Bertha Mieckowski.
In 2002 Impact Programs of Excellence created a competition for El Paso schools to participate in the Art and Sol...
Chapin students gained valuable insight into the creation of a large sculpture in a process that took five years, start...