This swimming pool was located at Washington Park.
The city had purchased land from El Paso County Fair Association for $66 in 1893. The parcel was named Washington Park. Tony Carvajal, a young man who lost his left leg in a train accident, eventually worked as a lifeguard at the park. Park officials claimed Carvajal was the only lifeguard with one leg in the country. He saved nine swimmers' lives in one summer.
Swimming Pool at Washington Park
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
In September 1929 this crowd watched this rodeo competition.
The McGinty Club was a men's fun-making group that also contributed to civic development in the bustling frontier town of...
The Popular Baseball Team - El Paso, Texas.
The image shows Washington Park Lake in 1912. Two people are paddling on it.
Alfredo, Enrique, and Jose, Jr. Berroteran on swing in Washington Park, 1930s. Note "No Mexicans" sign.
The image shows the lake at Washington Park in 1910. Some people enjoy their time paddling in boots.
A group of people having a picnic in the Washington Park.
A woman and a little girl are watching the swans at Washington Park, around 1910.
The image shows one of the neat houses in the Buena Vista neighborhood.
The image captures a small mural, advertising a tire shop on Alameda Ave.
A woman walking to a store. The scene was captured at Alameda Ave.
The image shows a car shop on Alameda Ave.
The image shows one of the houses in the Clardy Fox neighborhood.
The image shows one of the houses in the Delta Park Neighborhood.
The Sanchez Grocery is located at the corner of Val Verde St and Comanche Ave in El Paso, Texas.