Fourteen Baptists gathered in the home of Major W. F. Fewel, a Methodist, on August 26, 1882 to hold their first meeting with the Rev. George W. Baines, Jr., missionary pastor. On December 10, 1882 the first Sunday School was held. Three girls, six boys and fifteen adults attended. The first "church house" was constructed in 1885 at Magoffin and San Antonio. In 1906 the church moved two blocks away to a new location on Magoffin Avenue, which can be seen on the postcard. In 1932, First Baptist Church and Central Baptist Church consolidated their congregations and was housed at 805 Montana. In 1952, the present Sanctuary was constructed along with a new children's building.
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
The "new" Toltec Club building located at 602 Magoffin Ave. The Toltec Club was an exclusive club for prominent El...
This is the First Baptist Church at Magoffin and San Antonio, completed in March of 1885. It cost $6,930.00 to...
Octavia Magoffin Glasgow (1900-1986) was the granddaughter of Joseph Magoffin. She played an important role in preserving her family home...
Celsa V. Luna mother of Martin Luna in El Paso, Texas.
Sisters of Perpetual Adoration - 1952
Dinning room,Magoffin Home
"Ronnie",Tour guide-Magiffin Home
Master Bedroom Magoffin Home
Toilet Magoffin Home
Master Piano in Magoffin House
Opened in 2010 recognized for its "environmentally innovative design" and is composed mostly of limestone and copper.
One of the first Catholic Churches built in El Paso, Texas was completed in 1893.
the Sisters of the Order of Perpetual Adoration moved to this site in 1927 looking to escape religious persecution in...
Beautiful picture from the entrance to the Magoffin Home