Intersection of Myrtle & San Antonio Streets between 1910-1920. Another El Paso building that was highly regarded was city hall. It was built at the intersection of Myrtle Avenue and East San Antonio Avenue in 1899 and only lasted until 1959. This neoclassical structure was built in order to replace the original city hall that had been located on West Overland Avenue and South Santa Fe Street. This city hall also contained a large dome atop the building. The classical style was modeled after the Jefferson Memorial and the United States Capitol building in Washington, D.C. This version of city hall had great potential as a historic site since it was placed upon a triangle lot that contained a great lawn and small shade trees. But, just like the last city hall, this old two-story building was ultimately demolished and city employees were relocated. In its place now stands a building filled with retailers and restaurants.
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
First National Bank.
Located at 109 -17 E San Antonio corner of Oregon.
El Paso Federal Building Erected in 1892 a and abandoned. In 1938 this building once housed the
Hotel Paso del Norte - Trost & Trost architects.
Nelf- Stiles Co. Locates at 401 - 11 N Santa Fe.
Lander Lumber Co. (Inc.)
Located on Texas SW corner
Mills Building overlooking San Jacinto Plaza. Federal Building.
San Jacinto Plaza. Anson Mills building under construction right photo. Sheldon Hotel stands behind the flag pole and the Federal...
Krakaver - Zork & Moye. Located at 117 San Francisco
San Jacinto Plaza
United States Tires. United States Rubber Company and Associated Companies.
B. Farber & Co.
Perry-Kirkpatrick Realty Co.
El Paso Auto Sales Company. Located at Myrtle Av.