1/9 Loretto Academy Billboard with Students, 1990 - El Paso, Texas

2/9 May Procession 1958

3/9 Food Drive by Loretto Academy, 1998

4/9 Loretto Academy - Playing in the Snow, 1950s

5/9 Loretto Academy - Little Women

6/9 Loretto Academy - Class of 1953

7/9 Prom Night at Loretto Academy, 1940s

8/9 Loretto Tennis Players, 1940s

9/9 Loretto pupils with Santa in 1940s

description

The image shows the billboard sign of Loretto Academy; three students are standing or sitting next to it. In the background, Saint Joseph's chapel can be seen.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.

The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1990 - 1999), Education

  • Loretto Academy

Put an ' after Joseph so that it says St. Joseph's

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

In this image students of Loretto Academy join the May Procession of their school in 1958. In the background, the Academy itself can be seen. Loretto Academy is in the Austin Terrace neighborhood of El Paso, Texas.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1950 - 1959), Faith

  • Loretto Academy
  • May Procession
  • Women

Tag Women Loretto Academy is in the Austin Terrace neighborhood of El Paso, Texas.

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

Loretto Academy organized a Food Drive for the Salvation Army on Christmas 1998. In the image, students put all the collected cans on the steps of Loretto Academy.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1990 - 1999), Faith

  • Loretto Academy
  • Salvation Army
  • Christmas

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows students of Loretto Academy playing in the snow. It dates from the 1950s.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1950 - 1959), Fun

  • Loretto Academy
  • Snow

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

Students of Loretto Academy are performing the play Little Women in 1958. Theater was one of the subjects on which the school focused.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1950 - 1959), Art

  • Loretto Academy
  • Play
  • Little Women
  • Little Theatre

tag Little Theatre

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows three students of the 1953 class of Loretto Academy. It looks like they are performing a dance.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1950 - 1959), Dance

  • Loretto Academy

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows a scene of the prom night at Loretto Academy. It dates from the 1940s.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1940 - 1949), Celebration

  • Loretto Academy
  • Prom Night

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows tennis players of Loretto Academy in the 1940s. Tennis was one of the sports offered by the school.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1940 - 1949), Sports

  • Loretto Academy
  • Tennis
  • Women
  • Sports
  • athlete

Tag Women, Sports, athlete

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows 2nd grade pupils with Santa Claus in front of Loretto chapel.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1940 - 1949), Celebration

  • Loretto Academy
  • Christmas

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

More from the same album

More from the same collection

Loretto College - El Paso, Texas

Image of Loretto Academy during the period of 1920 - 1929. Location is in El Paso, Texas.

Chicos Tacos - El Paso, Texas

Chico’s Tacos a favorite of the locals. Location on Montana Street in El Paso Texas was closed circa 2016.

Radford School - El Paso, Texas

A local private school for girls. Radford is the oldest private school in El Paso, Texas. Founded in 1910 by...

Austin Terrace

Image shows four people mounted on horses at the entrance of Austin Terrace, an historic neighborhood, El Paso Texas circa...

St. Joseph's Graduating Class

The image shows the graduating class of St. Joseph's Academy El Paso, ca. 1927. St. Joseph's was the forerunner of...

Horned toad

Horned toads used to be common throughout El Paso. Photo from the 1970s.

The horned lizard is...

Horned toad

Taken back in the 1970s.

The horned lizard is popularly called a "horned toad", "horny toad", or...

Austin Terrace Historic District

Loretto Academy, designed by Henry C. Trost (1860-1933) in 1922, embodies fine architectural values and stands as one of the...

Hendricks-Laws Sanatorium

The image shows the Hendricks-Laws Sanatorium in 1915.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, tuberculosis spread rapidly...

Loretto Dedication in 1924

The image shows the dedication of Loretto Academy by Bishop Schuler in 1924.

The Sisters of...

Loretto Academy Dedication in 1924

The image shows a scene during the dedication ceremony of Loretto Academy in 1924.

The Sisters...

Postcard of Loretto College and Academy, 1920s

This postcard of the Loretty Academy dates from the 1920s.

The Sisters of Loretto began the...

Playground Of Loretto Academy, 1937 - El Paso, Texas

The image shows some girls of Loretto Academy at Genoveva Court playground (Nazareth Hall is there today) in 1937.

Graduation class, Loretto Academy, El Paso, Texas 1930

The image shows the graduation class of 1930 in front of the chapel of Loretto Academy.

...

two Loretto girls in 1937

The picture shows two Loretto girls in 1937.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts...

Report this entry

Choose the most important reason for this report

Your name

Your email address

Optional detail

Thank you for your report

This site is optimised for modern browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) and IE9 and later. Some pages may not display correctly in other browsers.