The image shows three students of the 1953 class of Loretto Academy. It looks like they are performing a dance.
The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.
Loretto Academy - Class of 1953
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
Battle Of The Claw - El Paso, Texas - 2017
El Paso High School Band during the...
Coach for El Paso High School gives pep talk to players during the game between Austin High School and El...
Photograph of Austin High School fan at Austin High School - Austin High School 18 and El Paso High School...
El Paso High School won the battle for the claw. Austin High School 18 and El Paso High School 23...
Photograph - Left to right: Thomas McKay(teacher), Olga Lujan (class of 1994), Chris Lujan (centennial tiger - 2016), and Tiger...
Tom McKay - Austin High School Football - El Paso, Texas.
Cheerleader at a football game at Austin High School - El Paso, Texas.
Principal, Craig Kehrwald - Austin High School football game.
Cheerleaders at Austin High School football game in the year 2017.
Photograph is of cheerleaders at Loretto Academy in El Paso Texas 1969 They are in front of Hilton Young Hall.
Loretto Academy on August 7, 2017 - Father Ed Roden- Lucero giving the blessings to the children on the first...
Sister Irma Avila SL came to Loretto Academy in
El Paso, TX as a first grader in 1959. Fifty...
The Gemoets family had seven children when they immigrated. Adeline their precious youngest daughter, was baptized Nov. 28, 1897 at...
Jennifer L. Alvarado graduation picture from Loretto Academy. Granddaughter of Tony Alvarado Jr. who went to Bowie High School -...
Kathleen Corbett graduated from Loretto Academy in 1966.