1/9 Loretto Academy Dedication in 1924

2/9 Saint Josephs Academy

3/9 Field Mass 1934

4/9 Walking to Field Mass, 1934

5/9 two Loretto girls in 1937

6/9 graduation class, Loretto Academy, 1930

7/9 Loretto Dedication in 1924

8/9 playground of Loretto Academy, 1937

9/9 Postcard of Loretto College and Academy, 1920s

description

The image shows a scene during the dedication ceremony of Loretto Academy in 1924.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1920 - 1929), Celebration

  • Loretto Academy
  • dedication
  • Bishop Schuler
  • Mother Praxedes Carty

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows students and teachers of Saint Joseph's Academy (El Paso, Texas) around 1900. St. Joseph's was the forerunner of today's Loretto Academy. It was established by the Loretto sisters in San Elizario in 1879 and in 1892, they started St. Joseph’s Academy for Girls in El Paso,Texas. The Sisters of Loretto staffed most of the early parochial schools in El Paso beginning with Sacred Heart in 1892, St. Mary in 1903, St. Ignatius in 1905, Guardian Angel in 1912, Holy Family in 1922, St. Joseph and St. Patrick in 1923, and Our Lady of Assumption in 1960. In 1923, Loretto Academy in the Austin Terrace neighborhood was opened and St. Joseph Academy was transferred to the new location. High School girls and boys were educated there at that time.

Central / El Paso High, (1900 - 1909), Education

  • St. Joseph's Academy
  • El Paso Street
  • Sisters Of Loretto

Caption should be St. Joseph's Academy El Paso TX

put an apostrophe in first line of description Joseph's send this photo to Michael S. Garcia for drone video

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows Loretto students in front of El Paso High School. They are preparing for a field mass which is about to begin.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1930 - 1939), Faith

  • Loretto Academy
  • Field Mass

That looks like El paso high school not the academy.

You are correct --- thank you for this information. Correction made--thank you.

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows students of Loretto Academy walking to a field mass in 1934.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1930 - 1939), Faith

  • Loretto Academy
  • Parade
  • Field Mass

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The picture shows two Loretto girls in 1937.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1930 - 1939), Fun

  • Loretto Academy

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows the graduation class of 1930 in front of the chapel of Loretto Academy.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1930 - 1939), Education

  • Loretto Academy
  • Graduation

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows the dedication of Loretto Academy by Bishop Schuler in 1924.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1920 - 1929), Celebration

  • Loretto Academy
  • dedication
  • Bishop Schuler
  • Mother Praxedes Carty

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

The image shows some girls of Loretto Academy at Genoveva Court playground (Nazareth Hall is there today) in 1937.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1930 - 1939), Fun

  • Loretto Academy

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

description

This postcard of the Loretty Academy dates from the 1920s.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy.
The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924.
The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry.
The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls.
In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations.
The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today.

Sources:
http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/
http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Central / Austin Terrace, (1920 - 1929), Architecture

  • Loretto Academy
  • Henry C. Trost
  • Bishop Schuler

Your comment will be visible after the El Paso Museum staff has reviewed it. This usually happens within 24 hours.

global.comment_received

More from the same album

More from the same collection

Loretto College

Image of Loretto during the period of 1910 - 1920.

Radford School

A local private school for girls. Radford is the oldest private school in El Paso, Texas. Founded in 1910 by...

Austin Terrace

Four people on their horses.

St. Joseph's Graduating Class

The image shows the graduating class of St. Joseph's Academy El Paso, ca. 1927. St. Joseph's was the forerunner of...

Horned toad

Horned toads used to be common throughout El Paso. Photo from the 1970s.

The horned lizard is...

Horned toad

Taken back in the 1970s.

The horned lizard is popularly called a "horned toad", "horny toad", or...

Austin Terrace Historic District

Loretto Academy, designed by Henry C. Trost (1860-1933) in 1922, embodies fine architectural values and stands as one of the...

Hendricks-Laws Sanatorium

The image shows the Hendricks-Laws Sanatorium in 1915.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, tuberculosis spread rapidly...

Loretto Academy Dedication in 1924

The image shows a scene during the dedication ceremony of Loretto Academy in 1924.

The Sisters...

Postcard of Loretto College and Academy, 1920s

This postcard of the Loretty Academy dates from the 1920s.

The Sisters of Loretto began the...

playground of Loretto Academy, 1937

The image shows some girls of Loretto Academy at Genoveva Court playground (Nazareth Hall is there today) in 1937.

graduation class, Loretto Academy, 1930

The image shows the graduation class of 1930 in front of the chapel of Loretto Academy.

...

two Loretto girls in 1937

The picture shows two Loretto girls in 1937.

The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts...

Walking to Field Mass, 1934

The image shows students of Loretto Academy walking to a field mass in 1934.

The Sisters...

Field Mass 1934

The image shows Loretto students in front of El Paso High School. They are preparing for a field mass which...

Report this entry

Choose the most important reason for this report

Your name

Your email address

Optional detail

Thank you for your report

This site is optimised for modern browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) and IE9 and later. Some pages may not display correctly in other browsers.